south-western part of Lower Austria:
Situated in the region Culture park Iron Trail-Ötscherland
Size: 104 km²
Number of inhabitants: 3.790
Altitude: 414 m
Iron in Ybbsitz:
In an official document of 1355 only two
blacksmiths are mentioned, but around 1400 more blacksmiths seem to have
settled in our area, so that the trade quickly started to flourish. The
geographical proximity to the Erzberg („Iron Ore Mountain“), the water
resources of our streams and the abundance of wood provided by our forests have
certainly contributed to this boom. In 1437 the blacksmiths of the „old
imperial workshop“ Ybbsitz are officially granted the right to get iron
from the state-owned stocks in Eisenerz.
The boom of the blacksmithing trade may have been the reason why Ybbsitz was officially declared a „market community“ in 1480.
In1572 69 privileged master blacksmiths can be found in Ybbsitz – plus another 90 master blacksmiths specialised in making pans and drills and who did not enjoy imperial privileges. Their products were exported to all parts of the Austrian empire (like Bohemia, Moravia, and Trieste), but also to Germany, Prussia, Italy (particularly Venice), Poland, Russia as well as along the Danube to the Balkans and the Middle East.
Today Ybbsitz is home to metal-processing companies that trace their roots back to the former hammermills and blacksmiths’ shops and that a worldwide reputation nowadays. Furthermore, old traditions have been revived since the foundation of the association „Lower Austria Iron Trail“ in 1990. Thus Ybbsitz can proudly claim to have become a „living metal workshop“ again.
- adventure trail Mile of Forges
(centuries-old revitalized hammermills and blacksmiths’ shops, blacksmithing
- events (blacksmithing event FERRACULUM, Blacksmithing Christmas, comprehensive offer of courses, ......
- wintersports centre Prolling (crosscountry ski runs particularly suited for families, skilift for children, .....)
- hiking, mountainbiking. outdoor swimmingpool with access to the river Ybbs,
- pilgrimage church Maria Seesal, interactive museum FeRRUM – world of iron
- conviviality and hospitality provided by our catering professionals and the numerous farmers selling their products directly to the consumers and guests
Address:Tourismusbüro FeRRUM YbbsitzMarkt 24, A-3341 YbbsitzTel. 07443/85300 Fax DW 85